Can you believe until recently I had never even tried Guacamole before? I’ve been wanting to try it for several months now. I have no idea why it’s taken my so long – long as in years and years to get up enough nerve to try guacamole. What is wrong with me?! Why did I wait so long? I love guacamole!
The best part? Lenny loves guacamole, too! And, ready for this, it’s a healthy dip. Healthy!
I’ve learned a few things about Guacamole, even though I’m a short time connoisseur of this amazing dish. One, don’t mash the avocados too much. I find the consistency and how well the ingredients blend together, just tastes so much better when you leave the avocados kind of chunky. Secondly, use fresh ingredients, whenever possible.
These ingredients, especially the coolness of the avocados, the zest of the cilantro and the slight heat of the jalapenos and chili pepper make for the perfect fiesta in a bowl.
Perfect guacamole recipe adapted from Alton Brown.
20 minPrep Time
20 minTotal Time
- 3 medium ripe Hass avocados, halved, peeled and pitted
- 1 medium lime
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 medium white sweet onion, diced
- 2 small Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- Place the avocado pulp and lime juice in a large mixing bowl and toss to combine. Add the salt, cumin and cayenne and mash using a potato masher, leaving some larger chunks for texture.
- Add the onion, tomatoes, garlic, cilantro and jalapeno and stir to combine.
- Lay plastic wrap directly on the surface of the guacamole and allow to sit at room temperature for 2 hours before serving.
So, what are you waiting for? Give this Guacamole recipe a try. And, if you do, you’ll have a new favorite healthy snack.
By the way, I also tried several different brands of tortilla chips. My favorite? Late July’s Chia & Quinoa Organic Tortilla Chips. You can buy these tortilla chips in your local grocery in the organic foods section.
Til next time…