Whether you use fresh or frozen blueberries, you’ll love these Blueberry Cupcakes. This recipe only makes 12 Blueberry Cupcakes.
My husband loves blueberries. I am not the biggest fan, but anytime I can get him to eat more healthy fruits, I’m all for it!
This Blueberry Cupcakes recipe is a real winner. The batter is thick and produces these decadent, moist and blueberry packed cupcakes. Not your ordinary cupcake and certainly not your ordinary muffin.
These cupcakes have the texture of light and fluffy cupcakes thanks to the addition of cake flour. If you substitute with all-purpose or some other type of flour, your cupcakes will not turn out as fluffy.
They will still be good. They just won’t be over the top good, light, fluffy and decadent. Instead, you’ll have dense cupcakes that aren’t quite as dense as muffins. So, do yourself a favor and be sure to use cake flour in this recipe.
Health Benefits of Blueberries
Did you know that blueberries are good for you? In fact, they are one of the most nutrient dense berries. These are just a few of the health benefits of blueberries:
- they are low in calories but high in nutrients
- have antioxidant properties
- may protect against aging and cancer
- protect cholesterol in your blood
- might lower blood pressure
- aid in prevention of heart disease
- improves memory and brain function
- contain anti-diabetes properties
- fight against urinary tract infections
- reduce muscle damage after strenuous exercise
- heart healthy
- weight control
Blueberry Cupcakes Recipe
Below is my favorite blueberry cupcakes recipe and they’re topped with the best cream cheese frosting and fresh blueberries!
- 1 2/3 cup cake flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup + 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 1/4 cups fresh blueberries, plus more for topping
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together the sifted cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip together the softened butter and granulated sugar until pale and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Mix in egg, then mix in egg whites one at a time. Blend in the vanilla extract.
- Measure buttermilk into a liquid measuring cup. Add sour cream to the buttermilk and whisk until smooth.
- Working in three separate batches, beginning and ending with the flour mixture, add 1/3 of the flour mixture alternating with 1/2 of the buttermilk mixture and mixing just until combined after each addition. Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Divide batter among 12 paper lined muffin cups, filling each about 3/4 full.
- Bake in preheated oven 20 - 24 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Allow to cool in muffin tin several minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cool, pipe or spread cream cheese frosting over tops and garnish with blueberries.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 cupcake
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 178Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 40mgSodium: 182mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 3g
More Recipe Ideas
If you love trying new recipes like this Blueberry Cupcakes recipe, you may also like these recipes from The Birch Cottage:
I hope you give this Blueberry Cupcake recipe a try! You won’t be disappointed! Happy baking…
Be sure to pin this image to your favorite Pinterest board so you can share it family and friends!