These low carb chicken enchilada stuffed peppers are loaded with shredded chicken, cheese and savory ingredients that you crave in a Mexican dish!
I’ve been wanting to share this chicken enchilada stuffed peppers recipe with you ever since the very first time I made them. My husband and I instantly fell in love with all the savory flavors. Plus, they’re totally good for you and low carb!
I make or used to make traditional enchiladas all the time. This is one of my husband’s favorite recipes that I make. Of course, he also loves my White Chicken Chili and meatloaf and well, pretty much everything I make. But, chicken enchiladas are definitely one of his favorites.
So, I had to try to make them a little healthier and without all the carbs that the wonderful flour or corn tortillas offer. I simply took my chicken enchilada recipe and stuffed it in a bell pepper.
Instant Pot Chicken
Here’s essentially how I cook my chicken breasts in the Instant Pot:
- First, I trim my chicken of any fat or skin.
- Then place the breasts in the liner of the Instant Pot.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper (you can use other spices, too).
- Add 1 cup of water to the pot, close the lid and seal and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
- Use the natural pressure release, then carefully remove chicken.
I then drain the stock from the pot, return the chicken to the liner pot and use my hand mixer to shred the chicken for this enchilada recipe or anytime I want shredded chicken. In fact, you can read all about how I shred chicken here. You can also use your stand mixer to shred chicken effortlessly!
The Best Low Carb Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Peppers Recipe!
My husband and I love this recipe. It’s definitely one of our favorite meals. I call this “the best” because it’s just that. The flavors all come together so well. It’s another fiesta for your taste buds!
STEP 1: PREHEAT OVEN AND PREPARE THE MEAT
This recipe calls for cooked and shredded chicken. You can read above how I use my Instant Pot to cook and shred my chicken – the easy way! Once you have your chicken ready, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Step 2: Prepare Bell Peppers
Cut stems from peppers and slice peppers in half lengthwise. Scrape out the seeds and cut away any membrane.
I also like to take the ends and chop up the pepper part (not the stem) and use that in the meat filling as well.
Step 3: Combine Ingredients
In a large bowl, combine the cooked shredded chicken, green chiles, rinsed black beans, garlic powder, salt, chili powder, cumin and about 1 cup of the shredded cheese. Mix well to combine.
Add one can of enchilada sauce, a little at a time and mix well to incorporate. You may not need a whole can of enchilada sauce. Just add enough so that the chicken is nicely coated.
Step 4: Prepare to Bake
Pour about 1/4 cup enchilada sauce into the bottom of your baking dish. Just enough to coat the bottom. Place bell pepper halves cut side up into the baking dish. Spoon chicken filling into the pepper halves. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of the stuffed peppers.
Pour remaining enchilada sauce over the top of the stuffed peppers.
Step 5: Bake
Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove aluminum foil and continue baking for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and nicely browned.
For some reason, I didn’t take a picture of the chicken enchilada stuffed peppers after they baked. So, use a little bit of your imagination and pretend the cheese is all melted and toasted perfectly on top.
Now you’re ready to serve your chicken enchilada stuffed peppers.
My favorite way to eat or serve these enchilada stuffed peppers is with a dollop of sour cream. The richness of the sour cream is just the perfect compliment to the spiciness of the enchilada sauce.
Another great thing about these enchilada stuffed peppers is that they re-heat really well and they freeze well. Perfect for meal prepping or packing in your lunch.
Low Carb Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Peppers
- 4 bell peppers
- 4 cups chicken cooked and shredded
- 2 10oz cans red enchilada sauce
- 1 4oz can diced green chiles
- 1 14oz can black beans rinsed
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1-1/2 cup monterey jack cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut stems from peppers and slice peppers in half lengthwise. Scrape out the seeds and cut away any membrane.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked shredded chicken, green chiles, black beans, garlic powder, salt, chili powder, cumin and 1 cup of Monterey Jack cheese. Mix well. Add one can of enchilada sauce and mix well. (You may not need a whole cane of sauce. Just use enough until the chicken is nicely saturated with sauce.)
- Pour about 1/4 cup enchilada sauce into the bottom of your baking dish. Place bell pepper halves into the baking dish (cut side up). Spoon the chicken filling into the pepper halves. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of the stuffed peppers. Pour remaining enchilada sauce over the stuffed peppers.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove aluminum foil and continue baking for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and nicely browned.
- Serve with a nice dollop of sour cream or your favorite toppings.
Kitchen Tools for Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Peppers Recipe
Below is a shoppable list of kitchen tools used in this recipe. Whenever possible, I’ve linked to the exact tools I used in making this recipe.
More Recipe Ideas
Whether you eat low carb or not, I think you’re gonna love this recipe. It’s really pretty easy to prepare, has amazing flavors and it reheats wonderfully! If you do give this recipe a try, please leave me a comment below or share on social media with hashtag #thebirchcottage.
If you like this chicken enchilada stuffed peppers recipe, you might also like these other recipes from The Birch Cottage:
Til next time…