These Chocolate Chunk Muffins are not just a healthy alternative to chocolate muffins, but they taste amazing and are oh so decadent!
I first started making these muffins a couple of years ago when I was looking for a healthier dessert options. My husband has an insatiable sweet tooth and any time I can make him a sweet dessert that’s also not loaded with sugar, it’s a big win! My family’s favorite dessert is Banana Split Cake, which I usually make for special occasions like the Christmas holidays. So, having a nice treat with a little fewer calories, is a plus!
Healthy Chocolate Chunk Muffins
These muffins get their sweetness from unsweetened applesauce. They’re also sweetened with Stevia. Instead of oil, they use Greek yogurt. I know, it doesn’t sound like it’s all that tasty, but they really are absolutely delicious. My husband even likes them! Although, our son Owen saw the muffins sitting on the counter cooling and thought, “Oh, great! Chocolate cupcakes!” He then took a big bite out of one and was terribly disappointed/surprised. He didn’t even give the muffins a chance and refused to try them – his loss!
- 1 3/4 cup Oats
- 3 Egg whites
- 3/4 cup Unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Plain Greek yogurt (or regular plain low fat yogurt)
- 1/2 tsp Cream of tartar (or 2 tsp. vinegar)
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Hot water
- 1/2 cup Baking Stevia OR 1 cup sweetener of choice that measures like sugar
- 1 1/2 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chunks or chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two 12-cup muffin pans with cupcake liners, or spray muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a blender, (or food processor), mix all of the ingredients together, except for the chocolate chips. Blend until oats are ground and mixture is smooth.
- Place mixture in a bowl and gently stir in 1/2 of the chocolate chips (set the rest aside). Scoop mixture into prepared muffin pans.
- Place muffins tins in the oven for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, remove muffins from the oven (but don’t shut oven off), and distribute the other half of the chocolate chips on top of each muffin.
- Place the muffins back into the oven and bake for an additional 2-5 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.*Note, you could skip this step by putting all of the chips in the batter, and baking the muffins for 12-15 min straight, but this method gives the muffins the traditional ‘VitaTop Muffin’ look with the chocolate chips on top!
- Cool muffins before removing from pan. ENJOY!!!
The chocolate chunk muffins have a moist, but dense texture. They are filled with rich chocolate goodness. I mean, what’s not to like? These triple chocolate chunk muffins are definitely a healthier alternative to muffins, cupcakes or sugar infused desserts that you might be craving. I took these muffins in to work for a carry-in and they were a big hit. Just try them – you’ll like them!
I do recommend you bake the muffins in a foil muffin liner instead of paper as the muffins are super moist and will more than likely seep through the paper liners. You know, I don’t care what my son says, I absolutely love these muffins! I hope you do, too!
Til next time…