Today, I’d like to share how to easily convert a PDF to PNG format so you can utilize the Print Then Cut feature with Cricut Design Space.
I am no expert on Cricut® Design Space, but I have used my Cricut® for quite a few projects since receiving it as a Christmas gift a year ago. I’ve used it a lot to design and cut stencils for my clock faces, greeting cards, gift tags and more this past Christmas. But, I got to thinking about gift tags the other day and I wondered about using the Cricut® Explore Air with the printable gift tags that I make for you here on The Birch Cottage. You can certainly simply print out the tags using your printer and then cut the shapes out by hand. But, what if you wanted to utilize your Cricut® machine to do the cutting for you? Well, then you would need to now how to convert a PDF to PNG format so you can use the Print Then Cut feature and I’m gonna try to tell you how to do exactly that!
Although I’m not convinced using your Cricut® for this actually saves you very much time, I am sure the results are certainly cleaner and, well, just perfect! Like I said, just in case you were wondering how to use the printables that you find here on The Birch Cottage (or anywhere online) with your Cricut Explore Air, I thought I’d show you how.
First, you should know that you cannot upload a PDF document to Cricut® Design Space. For optimum results, you should select a PNG file whenever possible. Other basic file types that you can upload include .jpg, .bmp and .gif image files. You can also upload vector images including .svg and .dxf files.
Not all is bad news though when it comes to PDF documents. Although you cannot upload them directly to Cricut® Design Space, you can convert them to PNG format and then upload them. So, how do you convert a PDF to PNG? It’s much easier than you might have ever imagined!
How to Easily Convert a PDF to PNG Format
Believe it or not, there is a free online tool that will quickly and easily help you to convert your PDF documents to PNG format in a matter of seconds!
- After you have downloaded the PDF document to your computer, open your browser and go to png2pdf.com.
- Click on the Upload Files
- This will launch the Open file dialogue box. Locate the PDF you would like to convert (probably in your Downloads folder), click on the PDF file and click on
- The file will be uploaded. You should see a progress indicator and once the file has been uploaded and converted, you’ll see a Download button below the small image of the uploaded file. Click on the Download
- The file will be downloaded as a ZIP file and appear in the status bar near the bottom of your screen. Simply click on the file name to open the ZIP file.
- The Open file dialogue box will open and you should see your downloaded file. Since the file is still in the ZIP format, you’ll need to unzip or extract it first. Simply click on the Extract all Files.
- You’ll be asked to specify the location of where you want to save the extracted (unzipped) file. You can accept the default location or click on the Browse button to select the location where you want the file saved. Click on the Extract
- The Open file dialogue box will open and you should see your newly converted PDF to PNG file. You can open the file by double-clicking on it if you just want to see how the file looks. For now, close the window by clicking on the red X.
Once you have your PDF converted to PNG format, you’ll want to upload the PNG file to Cricut® Design Space so you can take advantage of its Print Then Cut feature.
Upload PNG File to Cricut® Design Space
Now that you’ve converted your PDF document to the PNG file format, you have a couple of things you’ll want to do to sort of clean up the file in preparation for Print then Cut with Cricut® Design Space.
- Open Cricut® Design Space in your browser and click on Create New Project.
- Click on Upload Image.
- Click on the Upload Image
- Click on the Browse
- The Open dialogue box will open. Select the file PNG file you want to upload and click on
- You’ll see a preview of the image in Cricut® Design Space. Since we are going to want to edit this file, we’ll select Complex Image and then click on the Continue
- The PNG file will be loaded into Cricut® Design Space. Select the Select & Erase
- With the Select & Erase tool selected, click somewhere on the white background, but not inside any of the labels. I would suggest simply clicking on the white background in the top right corner of the image. Then, magically, the background will be erased. You can tell the background was erased because you can now see the blue and white checks (which indicate a transparent background) where the white background use to be.
- With the Select & Erase tool still selected, you will want to click inside each of the small circles on each of the five gift tags. Be careful not to click on the tag itself. If you do, just click on the undo arrow, located just to the left of the zoom buttons.
- Now click on the Erase Then you’ll want to increase the size of your eraser by moving the slider all the way to the right.
- With your slider tool selected, erase the text at the top and bottom of the page by using a click and drag motion with your mouse. Once you have all the text erased, click on the Continue.
- Once the image is loaded, select Save as Print Then Cut Image. Now is also a good time to add appropriate tags for your image so you can easily find it the next time you want to use this file. Then click on the green Save button.
Once you have your PDF converted to PNG, uploaded the PNG to Cricut®, made your modifications (removed the text and background) and saved your new PNG, you’re ready to Print Then Cut with Cricut®!
This post contains affiliate links. What this means to you is that if you click on a link and make a purchase, I may earn a small commission – at absolutely no additional cost to you! Thank you so much for supporting The Birch Cottage and my family! You can read my full disclosure here.
Where to Purchase a Cricut®
You can purchase a Cricut at your local hobby or craft store (JoAnn, Michaels, HobbyLobby, etc.), through Amazon or directly through Cricut’s website. Right now (April 16, 2017) Cricut has their machines on sale at a great price, including their new Cricut Explore Air™ Gold Machine + Deluxe Starter Set for only $229! The regular price is $349.94. There are, of course, other machines and colors available, but this gold machine is gorgeous and twice as fast as the original Air machine. So, what are you waiting for? Go take advantage of this great price!!
Avery Design & Print Online
Although I love making printables for you, I love finding ways to help you easily make them for yourself. If you’re a do-it-yourself type person like me, then you love finding ways to do it yourself and that’s exactly what this tutorial is all about. I had previously shared a new online print tool from Avery called Design and Print Online. Avery Design & Print Online is an easy way to create printable gift tags, cards and so much more! The idea is simple: Purchase Avery printable products and then use their online software to design and print.
So, there you have sort of a three-for-one:
- How to convert a PDF to PNG format so you can utilize the Print Then Cut feature in Cricut Design Space with all your free printables.
- Where to purchase a new Cricut at a great price.
- How to Design & Print Online using Avery products and their new and improved online solution.
My goal here at The Birch Cottage is to inspire you to do-it-yourself! When I come across tools like PDF2PNG or Design & Print Online, I just can’t wait to share them with you! I really hope this helps! If you use any of these tools, I’d love to hear about it!
To be the first to hear about the latest ideas and for access to the entire Subscribers Resource Library, please sign up for The Birch Cottage newsletter:
Til next time…