I was grocery shopping at our local Kroger store last weekend when I came across Egg Nog. It looked so festive on the shelf in the dairy section and I just knew I had to buy some (plus it was on sale). I had a couple of recipes that called for Egg Nog that I wanted to try anyway. So, I bought the Egg Nog, went home and baked my very first batch of Egg Nog Muffins.
This was a really easy recipe and the results, well, I took the muffins/cupcakes into work the next day and they were gone within minutes. Later that morning I received a phone call from Lenny wanting to know where all the Egg Nog Cupcakes were and I told him I took them to work, but I saved him four. “Four?”, he said. “What if I want more?” Well, honey, I’ll just have to make some more!
Unbeknownst to me, Lenny loves Egg Nog and when he loves something, well, moderation doesn’t exactly come to mind! In fact, I tease him all the time about he and the boys have a moderation problem.
But, these muffins/mini loaves/cupcakes – whatever you want to call them, really were delicious. You can taste the richness of the Egg Nog and the hint of vanilla and rum. The flavors just all meld together into this dense – kind of the consistency of banana nut bread – cake/bread/muffin like deliciousness that leaves your taste buds wanting for more.
In addition to the rum and vanilla extract, the recipe also calls for instant French vanilla pudding. You can use regular vanilla pudding if you can’t find the French vanilla pudding in your grocery store, but I would definitely recommend the French vanilla. It adds a sort of sophisticated and depth of flavor to the muffins that you just wouldn’t get with regular vanilla pudding.
Then, there’s the glaze. Oh, yeah! The glaze! It’s a simple little glaze made with powdered sugar and the star of the show, Egg Nog. The egg nog infused glaze is the perfect topping for these tasty treats.
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tbsp baking soda
- 2/3 cup eggnog
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp rum
- 2 tbsp eggnog
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 375 and spray a mini muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Whisk together the egg and eggnog. Then add the butter.
- Gently fold the egg/eggnog/butter mixture into the dry ingredients.
- Spoon into the mini muffin tin and bake for 8 to 10 minutes. (All ovens are different, but mine were underdone at 8, overdone at 10, and perfect at 9 minutes.)
- While the muffins are cooking, make the glaze. Mix together the powdered sugar, rum, cinnamon, and 2 tablespoons of eggnog.
- When you bring the muffins out of the oven, let them cool until they won’t burn your fingers, dip them in the glaze, and set them on a wire rack.
You’ve just gotta give this recipe a try! Like I mentioned, these are a denser consistency than cupcakes. And the original recipe called for making the muffins in mini loaf pans. But, I knew I was going to take these muffins to work, so I decided to bake them in muffin/cupcake tins instead.
The perfect holiday treat without being over the top sweet. Perfect holiday Egg Nog Muffins or Mini Loaves or Cupcakes or simply Egg Nog treat yummies.
Til next time…