This traditional hamburger & rice stuffed peppers is comfort food at its best. Made with tomatoes, rice and ground beef, it’s sure to be a family favorite!
Hamburger and rice stuffed peppers are one of my husband’s favorite dishes that I prepare. This recipe is what I think of as a traditional stuffed pepper recipe. It’s made with ground beef, tomatoes, peppers, onions, cheese and seasoning.
I’ve made it both in the electric pressure cooker (Instant Pot) and in the oven. This recipe is for stuffed peppers that are baked in the oven. Both, in my opinion are equally good!
It’s in the 20’s in Ohio right now, so turning on the oven and warming up the kitchen seemed like the perfect thing to do. I also baked biscuits. Why biscuits? Because I wanted to try using my brand new stand mixer to make biscuits (more on that later).
Hamburger & Rice Stuffed Peppers
I was just thinking about the first time I could remember ever eating stuffed peppers. And I’m really not sure. It was either in the hospital cafeteria or at Morrison’s Cafeteria in the Panama City Mall. In either case, I was a young adult. I’m now in my 50’s (ouch, that hurts) and I can say I’ve made this dish so many times that I don’t even use a recipe. I just kind of throw it all together.
Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links for products or services I think you’ll like. The Birch cottage is a member of the Amazon Associates program. This means if you make a purchase from one of these links, I will make a small commission at no additional cost to you. All opinions expressed are 100% my own.
There are just a few supplies you’ll need to make this recipe.
- Large skillet (love this one)
- wooden spoon
- small saucepan
- can opener
- measuring spoons
- 13″x9″ glass baking pan
- large spoon
But, for those of you who prefer a recipe or at least a starting point, I’m sharing my Hamburger and Rice Stuffed Peppers recipe with you here today.
Hamburger & Rice Stuffed Peppers
- 1/2 cup uncooked rice
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion chopped
- ¼ cup diced bell pepper from the tops
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 14.5 oz can tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 large green peppers
- 1 cup shredded cheese Cheddar or Monterey Jack
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a small saucepan, prepare rice according to the package instructions. In a large skillet over medium heat, add ground beef, onion and diced peppers. Cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 6 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Drain fat.
- Return beef mixture to skillet, then stir in cooked rice and diced tomatoes. Season with oregano, salt, and pepper. Let simmer until liquid has reduced slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Place peppers cut side-up in a 9″-x-13″ baking dish. Spoon beef mixture into each pepper and top with shredded cheese, then cover baking dish with foil.
- Bake until peppers are tender, about 35 minutes. Uncover and bake until cheese is bubbly, about 10 minutes more.
If you try this recipe, I promise you, it will become one you refer to again and again. And, don’t serve it with biscuits. If you want to add some bread, try garlic bread. It pairs really well with the hamburger & rice stuffed peppers.
Of course, you can add some more vegetables or even mashed potatoes as a side. But, this is really more of a casserole type dish in that everything you need to eat is contained in the bell pepper. In fact, you can even eat the dish!
Printable Recipe Card
I created a free printable recipe card for this recipe as well. My intentions are to make a set of these recipe cards for every recipe I share here on the blog. That way, if you want to put together a recipe box or binder, your recipe cards will be already typed and all matchy matchy.
However, these recipe cards are available to subscribers of The Birch Cottage newsletter only. It’s easy to subscribe. Just complete the below form:
Once you’ve confirmed your e-mail address, we’ll send you a confirmation email with a link to the entire Subscribers Resource Library, where you’ll have access to this free printable and so much more! The Library is stocked with free printables and other content that is EXCLUSIVE for subscribers. Plus you’ll have the opportunity to get fresh ideas from The Birch Cottage newsletter.
More Recipe Ideas
For more tried and true family favorite recipes, be sure to check out these recipe ideas from The Birch Cottage:
If you give this recipe a try, I’d love to hear about it. Just leave me a comment below!
Til next time…