Learning how to upload SVG files to Cricut Design Space will allow you so much more flexibility and creativity with your Cricut crafting!
Adding your own cut files or those your purchase online or obtain free from sites like The Birch Cottage, can really help you to take your Cricut crafts to the next level.
I originally shared this tutorial way back in November of 2020. Due to numerous software updates to Cricut Design Space since then, I’ve updated this tutorial how to to upload SVG files to Cricut Design Space. This information is accurate as of the posting of this tutorial on April 26, 2022.
Although there are some great images in Cricut Access, knowing how and having the ability to upload your own SVG files is a total game changer! And creativity boost!
How to Upload SVG Files to Cricut Design Space
Uploading files to Cricut Design Space couldn’t be easier. In this tutorial, we’ll focus on uploading files from your desktop or laptop computer.
Of course there are just a couple of pieces of important equipment you’ll need to get started:
- desktop computer or laptop
- Cricut Joy, Explore Air 2 or Maker available on Cricut.com
- Cricut Explore Air 2 or Maker available on Amazon
Before You Begin
If you’d like to be able to practice these steps on uploading and inserting SVG files into Cricut Design Space, simply CLICK HERE or on the below image to download this No Place Like Home SVG file so you can easily follow along.
You will find a video tutorial where I walk through every step of uploading an SVG file to Cricut Design Space on my YouTube Channel. CLICK HERE to visit my YouTube channel (And please take a moment to subscribe to my channel! THANK YOU!!)
- desktop or laptop computer
- Cricut Design Space
- Cricut Joy, Explore, or Maker machine
- From your computer, launch or open Cricut Design Space. You may have saved a shortcut on your desktop, menu bar or simply navigate to the program by clicking on Start (the little gear located on the bottom left corner of your screen) then Cricut Design Space.
- Next, you’ll start a new project simply by clicking on the New Project link on the Design Space home page.
- Then click on the Upload icon on the bottom left of your Design Space menu bar.
- This will take you to the Upload page. Click on the Upload Image button.
- You can Browse to your file location by clicking on the Browse button or drag and drop your image file. Note that images can only be uploaded one at a time. For the purpose of this tutorial, click on the Browse button.
- Click on the file you want to upload. The name of the file will appear in the File name field. Then click on Open.
- As soon as you click on Open, the image is uploaded to Design Space.
- First add any tags in the Tags field. This will help you to identify files and search for them by the tags later on. Like next year. You can also rename your image, if you want. Then simply click on the Save button.
- The file has now been saved in your Uploads and is ready to be used in Cricut Design Space.
If you have a project already open in Cricut Design Space, you may receive the following message when you try to create a new project:
“A project already exists on the Canvas with unsaved changes. Do you wish to save your previous project or replace it with this new project?” Simply answer this question and then continue.
Problems or Questions
I know that crafting with your Cricut can sometimes seem overwhelming or intimidating, but it doesn’t have to be. If you have any problems uploading or inserting your uploaded images into Cricut Design Space, please let me know and I’ll be glad to help!
More Cricut Tutorials & Projects
If you enjoyed this Cricut tutorial, you may also like these other beginner friendly tutorials and projects for use with your Cricut Joy, Explore Air 2 or Maker cutting machines:
- Which Cricut Cutting Machine is Right for You?
- How to Insert an Uploaded SVG File Into a Cricut Project
- How to Convert PDF to PNGs for Print then Cut
- Cricut Foil Transfer Tool
- The Best Face Mask Pattern