Whether you create or buy your own SVG cut files, you’ll want to learn how to insert an uploaded SVG file into a Cricut Design Space project.
I previously shared with you how to upload SVG cut files to use with Cricut Design Space. Please refer to that tutorial if you need help uploading cut files.
Okay, let’s say you have your SVG cut file uploaded into Cricut Design Space, how do you use that image? And can you combine images or include multiple uploaded SVG files into one project? Yes and Yes. Let’s learn!
How to Insert an Uploaded SVG File into your Project
Of course, before you begin this tutorial it will be helpful to have your laptop or desktop computer and Cricut Design Space already installed and opened.
- laptop or desktop computer
- Cricut Design Space Application
- Cricut Joy, Explore, or Maker Cutting Machine
Not sure which cutting machine is right for you? You can read my comparison of the Cricut Cutting Machines.
What are SVG Files?
SVG is short for scalable vector graphics. These are the types of files that are used with cutting machines like the Cricut line of machines.
How do I Upload SVG Files?
Where do I Find SVG Files to Upload?
There are plenty of sources for free SVG files that you can download and even more that you can purchase. You’ll find free SVG files here on The Birch Cottage blog, over on Ideas for the Home by Kenarry, popular Cricut focuses blogs like JenniferMaker.com, TheCountryChicCottage.com, and even sites like Etsy, Creative Fabrica, and Design Bundles – to name a few.
- laptop or desktop computer
- Cricut Design Space
- Cricut Joy, Explore, Maker Cutting Machine
- From your computer, launch or open Cricut Design Space. You may have saved a shortcut on your desktop, menu bar or simply navigate to the program by clicking on Start (the little gear located on the bottom left corner of your screen) then Cricut Design Space.
- Next, you'll start a new project simply by clicking on the New Project link on the Design Space home page.
- Once you click on New Project, you may receive the following message:
"A project already exists on the Canvas with unsaved changes. Do you wish to save your previous project or replace it with this new project?" Simply answer this question and then continue.
- Then click on the Upload icon on the bottom left of your Design Space menu bar.
- From the Upload page you should see a section titled Recent Uploads, click on one of these images (or click on multiple images to insert multiple images into your project) and then click on the Insert Images button.
By the way, if you don't see your image that you want to use, click on the View All link just to the right of the Recently uploaded images link. This will take you to all the files you've ever uploaded to Cricut Design Space.
- You have now inserted the uploaded SVG file into your new project. It is now ready for you to resize and use in your cutting project!
More Cricut Tutorials
If you would like more free Cricut tutorials, you might be interested in these projects from The Birch Cottage blog:
- Four Christmas SVG Files
- 20 Rae Dunn Inspired SVG Files
- DIY Round Wooden Door Hanger
- What is Cricut Access and Do I Really Need It?
And, you can even follow me in Cricut Design Space where I have quite a few saved shared projects that you can also access for FREE.
Be sure to save this Cricut tutorial to your favorite Pinterest crafting board for easy access or to share with family and friends!