One of my favorite childhood recipes is my mom’s cast iron skillet cornbread. This recipe uses box corn muffin mix.
My mom was not the greatest or most elaborate cook. Partly because she grew up in a hospital and really had limited cooking experience and partly because my dad was such a picky eater.
However, there were a few dishes that my mom made that really stick out in my mind. One is potato candy and the other is her cast iron skillet cornbread. I love good cornbread. I loved my mom’s cornbread that she made in a cast iron skillet and it’s perfect with bean soup, by the way!
She also made really good meatloaf, fried potatoes, fried chicken and pork chops. I see a common theme here – fried foods. That’s exactly what I grew up on; along with a healthy dose of mashed potatoes.
But, today I want to share with you my mom’s cast iron skillet cornbread recipe.
Cast Iron Skillet Cornbread Recipe
Although this recipe uses box corn muffin mix, it’s the cast iron skillet that truly makes a difference! It makes for a nice crispy edge and serves up this golden brown goodness. And when it comes out of the oven, slather the top with some butter – pure gold!
Kitchen Tools Needed
- 2 packages JIFFY Corn Muffin Mix
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- oil for pan
- Place cast iron skillet in the oven and preheat oven to 400F.
- Combine corn muffin mix, eggs and milk in a mixing bowl. (I like to use my large glass measuring cup with a spout.) Batter will be slightly lumpy.
- Remove skillet from oven and carefully grease the skillet. Pour batter into skillet and bake 18-23 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you’re new to baking with cast iron skillets or bakeware, you might want to read my blog post on how to clean a cast iron skillet. It really couldn’t be easier!
Do you have a favorite recipe from your childhood? I’d love to hear about it! Please feel free to share in the comment section below so we can all reminisce together.
More Recipe Ideas
So, if you liked my mom’s Cast Iron Skillet Cornbread Recipe, you might also like these recipe ideas from The Birch Cottage:
- Stand Mixer Buttermilk Biscuits
- Low Carb Jambalaya
- Pumpkin Bread Recipe for the Bread Machine
- Easy Sourdough Starter Bread Recipe
P.S. – Be sure to pin this post to your favorite Pinterest Board for easy access and to share it with family and friends!