Learn how to use the new Offset feature in Cricut Design Space to create shadow effect on text and images for print then cut stickers & more!
I recently shared that there were some changes and updates coming to Cricut Design Space. One of the announced updates is the Offset feature and it’s now available! However, there are a couple of important things you should know first.
What to Know About the Offset Feature in Cricut Design Space
Like I said, there are a couple of important things to know before you try using the Offset feature in Design Space:
1 – Desktop ONLY
Currently, the Offset feature is supported on systems running Windows 10 (64-bit only) and higher, and macOS 10.15 and higher. Visit this article for instructions from Microsoft on how to upgrade Windows. Visit this article for instructions from Apple on how to upgrade macOS.
In other words, this feature is not available on your tablet or smart phone. It is only available in the desktop version of Cricut Design Space.
2 – New Canvas Stlye
The Offset feature is also only available on the New canvas style and is not available in the Classic canvas style in Cricut Design Space. Here’s how to make sure you’re using the New canvas style:
- Select Menu > Settings > Canvas Style: New
What is “Offset”?
The Offset feature in Cricut Design Space allows you to create an “offset effect” on images and texts. The offset feature is really a type of style or effect, similar to a drop-shadow or glow. In Design Space, the Offset creates a filled outline of the selected text and/or images.
Offset layers add a shadow or decorative outline for your design, giving it texture, dimension, and visual impact. You can see an example of the Offset effect in the Before/After image below:
Why Would I Want to Use Offset?
Being able to add the Offset style or effect to text and images comes in especially handy if you like to make your own stickers, layered t-shirt designs, for use with print then cut and more!
If you prefer to follow along or learn by watching a video, you can watch my YouTube video titled How to Use the Offset Feature in Cricut Design Space. I’d also love it if you could visit my YouTube channel, like my video and maybe even subscribe!
- Cricut Design Space
- Laptop, Computer or Mac
- Insert images or text onto the Canvas in Design Space. Select the layer(s) for which you want to create an offset. You can select a single layer or multiple layers or objects.
- Select Offset. Use the slider to choose offset size or enter a specific measurement in the field. An outline appears on the Canvas to help you visualize the size and shape of the offset.
- Choose a corner style for your offset, rounded or angular.
- Weld Offsets is selected by default when a text box, a design with multiple layers, or multiple objects are selected. This option merges offsets for all selected objects, so they function as a single layer. De-select Weld Offsets if you wish to work with each offset separately.
- Select Apply to create the offset. The new layer appears on the Canvas and in the Layers panel. You can then work with this layer as you would any other object on the Canvas.
- If there are parts of the Offset layer that are cut out and you don't want that look, select the Offset layer and then use the Contour tool.
More Help with Cricut Design Space
If you need more help with Cricut Design Space or maybe you’re just thinking about purchasing a cutting machine, then you may find one of these tutorials helpful:
- Which Cricut Machine is Right for You?
- The Latest Cricut Design Space Updates
- How to Upload SVG Files to Cricut Design Space
- How to Combine Projects in Cricut Design Space
- The New Cricut Mug Press – A First Look
Besides this informative tutorials, you’ll also find fun Cricut projects like these Rae Dunn Inspired Spring designs.
If you have questions, comments or need assistance using Cricut Design Space, feel free to leave a Comment below. I’ll respond to your questions just as soon as I possibly can.
If you liked this tutorial, be sure to Pin it to your favorite Pinterest Board so you can easily access it and share it with family and friends!