It’s quite amazing to me to think that my “little girl” is on an enormous ship and is sailing somewhere in the Pacific Ocean as part of a mission of the United States Navy. Still doesn’t register with my mind that this is real or possible. In fact, our sailor girl just recently paid a visit to Hong Kong! Who would have ever thought?!
Our sailor girl visits Hong Kong?! Amazing! At least it’s amazing to this mom and dad! In fact, I received a Facebook Messenger message from her and the conversation went like this:
- Kristen: Good morning, mom! Expect a call from me in a couple of days! 🙂 I love you!
- Me: A call from my Kristen??? Woo hoo!!!!
- Kristen: How’s my favorite mom doing? And everyone else?
- Me: Your favorite mom is doing good. Everyone else is good, too. Any idea where you are?
- Kristen: I’m great! We’re close to China right now.
- Me: Amazing!
Here are a few pictures of Hong Kong, courtesy of the USS Essex:
Downtown Hong Kong
Shops and apartments downtown Hong Kong
Don’t get me wrong, I may think of my Kristen as a little girl, but she is one tough sailor. She’s strong (emotionally and mentally), confident, intelligent, dependable and trustworthy, not to mention she’s just a little ray of sunshine.
This picture of Kristen was taken the day of graduation from Boot Camp. She was so happy to see her family – tears of joy! Thanks for visiting The Birch Cottage today and letting me go on and on about our sailor girl.
Til next time…