Our sailor girl will be coming home for what I’m sure will be the fastest six days ever. Lenny and I are so excited to have her home. I can’t even begin to tell you how proud we are of her. She is all of 19 years old and taking the Navy by storm! She is an Air Traffic Controller onboard one of the finest ship’s in the US Navy. I wish you all could meet her, I’m sure you’d just fall in love with her. In honor of her homecoming, I thought I’d share one of our sailor’s favorite recipes.
Hashbrown casserole has got to be one of Kristen’s favorite recipes. She’s even learned to make this recipe herself and has made it many times for her shipmates. The hashbrown casserole is easy to make and absolutely delicious! You can top it with crushed crackers, potato chips or shredded cheese.
This really is a simple recipe. You’ll need to chop one onion, a 16-ounce container of sour cream, a can of cream of chicken soup, an 8-ounce package of your favorite cheese, a 30-ounce bag of frozen shredded hash brown potatoes and some salt and pepper for seasoning.
After you preheat your oven to 350 degrees, you’ll want to butter your casserole dish.
In a small skillet, melt 1/4 cup of butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook 3-4 minutes, or until soft.
Pour onions into a large bowl. Add the sour cream, cream of chicken soup, cheese, hash browns, salt and pepper. Combine until well blended. Then pour the potato mixture into your buttered casserole dish. Top with the topping of your choice and bake for 45 minutes, or until hot and bubbly and you just can’t resist them any longer!
Yummy, rich, gooey, cheesy goodness straight from the oven!
- 1/4 cup butter, plus more for dish
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (16-ounce) container sour cream
- 1 (10 1/2-ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (8-ounce) package shredded Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese blend
- 1 (30-ounce) package frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups crushed potato chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly butter a casserole dish.
- In a small skillet, melt 1/4 cup of butter over medium heat. Add onion, and cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until soft. Pour mixture into a large bowl. Add the sour cream, cream of chicken soup, cheese, hash browns, and salt and pepper. Combine until well blended.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking dish. Top evenly with crushed potato chips and bake for 45 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
This recipe is not only our sailor girl’s favorite recipe, but it’s become a staple for potlucks and other large family gatherings. If you give this recipe a try, I’d love to hear about it!
Til next time…