Save money, use real ingredients to make this Starbucks copycat recipe for Peppermint Mocha. Perfect for St. Patrick’s Day, Christmas or anytime!
Peppermint Mocha isn’t just for Christmas! It’s the perfect drink to enjoy any time of the year. And it doesn’t have to be a special occasion! However, I have to warn you that this drink is loaded with calories and sugar. So, you may want to save it for special occasions.
You can, of course, substitute the milk with coconut milk, and the sugar for sweeteners of your choice to make this a more calorie friendly version. Just sayin’!
Starbucks Copycat Peppermint Mocha Recipe
Do I have to use whole milk?
Like I said, you can substitute the whole milk with coconut milk or the milk of your choice. This will, of course, change the flavor slightly.
How do I make an Iced Peppermint Mocha?
Yes, you can make an iced peppermint mocha. Simply substitute the hot coffee with cold brew and serve over ice.
Can I make a Peppermint Frappuccino®?
Yes! To make a frappuccino, pour the drink into the blender and add 1 cup of crushed ice. Blend until smooth.
Below is a list of the ingredients, the exact amounts are contained in the below recipe card.
- coffee or espresso
- whole milk
- heavy whipping cream
- peppermint extract
- mint syrup
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- chocolate chips
- dark chocolate
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup cacao chocolate chips (60%)
- 3 tablespoons mint syrup
- 1/4 cup chocolate milk
- 1/3 cup espresso or 2/3 cup strong coffee
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon grated chocolate
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped peppermint
- Combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the sugar is fully dissolved.
- Remove the syrup from the heat and let cool for 1 minutes, then stir in the peppermint extract. Pour the syrup into a clean container.
- Using a small saucepan, sift the cocoa into the pan and gradually whisk in the heavy whipping cream until the cocoa powder has dissolved into the cream.
- Then stir in the milk. Heat the mixture over medium heat just until it begins to steam. Remove from heat and add the chocolate chips. Whisk until the ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Pour this mixture into a blender (or use an immersion blender) and blend for 60 seconds or until well combined and frothy.
- Make the espresso or strong coffee.
- Pour 3 tablespoons of the mint syrup with 1/4 cup of the chocolate milk into a mug. Add 2/3 cup of coffee and 2/3 cup of whole milk. Stir well to combine.
- Whip the heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Using a piping bag or storage big with a corner snipped off, spoon the whipped cream into the bag and pipe in a mound on top of the mocha.
- Use a fine grater to grate some dark chocolate on top of the mocha. You can also garnish with chopped peppermint.
- Use freshly brewed coffee for the best results.
- You can substitute coconut milk for the whole milk.
- You can substitute the sugar for the sweetener of your choice.
- To make an iced version, substitute with cold brew coffee and serve over ice.
- To make a frappuccino, pour the drink into the blender and add 1 cup of crushed ice. Blend until smooth.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 541Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 60mgSodium: 75mgCarbohydrates: 81gFiber: 2gSugar: 65gProtein: 6g
Nutritional information is an estimation.
More Recipe Ideas
If you liked this Starbucks Peppermint Mocha copycat recipe, you might also like these recipe ideas from The Birch Cottage:
- The BEST Chai Latte Recipe
- Sew a Coffee Cup Sleeve
- Zucchini Muffins with Cranberries, Walnuts, and White Chocolate Chips
And there are plenty of coffee inspired ideas on Ideas for the Home by Kenarry where I guest post once a month, like:
- 7 Coffee Craft Repeat SVG Files (for Cricut)
- Easy Greek Style Frappe Recipe
- Free Printable Planner Stickers for Coffee Lovers
Save this Peppermint Mocha Recipe to Pinterest
Be sure to pin this recipe to your favorite beverage Pinterest board to save it for later or to share with family and friends!