I have always been a BIG fan of salsa, pico de gallo and, of course, cilantro. My taste buds just come alive thinking about cilantro! This Pico de Gallo Recipe is my all time favorite. I use it as a base for so many dishes.
Every since Lenny and I made our road trip out to California last summer and experienced “Taco Tuesday” at the Rockin’ Baja Lobster Cantina in San Diego, I just can’t seem to get enough. Then when you add our trip to Mexico this spring break, uhm, yeah….. We had fresh pico de gallo every day. We had it in the Shrimp Stuffed Avocados. We had it in the ceviche. We had it with tortilla chips. Every day. Fresh.
Pico de Gallo Recipe
Pico de Gallo
- 3 yellow or red onions
- 12 Roma tomatoes slightly under ripe is fine
- 2 cups fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 to 3 jalapenos
- 1 lime
- Dice up equal quantities of onion and tomato.
- Roughly chop the cilantro.
- Slice 1 or 2 jalapenos in half. With a spoon, scrape out the seeds. (If you like things spicy, leave in some of the white membranes.) Dice the jalapenos very finely; you want just a hint of heat and jalapeno flavor. Now dump the four ingredients into a bowl.
- Slice the lime in half and squeeze the juice from half a lime in the bowl. Sprinkle with salt, and stir together until combined. Be sure to taste the pico de gallo and adjust the seasonings, adding salt or more diced jalapeno if needed.
I hope you enjoy this recipe. It truly has become a recipe that we make on a weekly basis in our family.
Til next time…