Pico de Gallo is an authentic Mexican dish that is great served along with tortilla chips or as a base for other dishes such as guacamole. The key to really good Pico de Gallo is the use of fresh ingredients.
I have always been a BIG fan of salsa, pico de gallo and, of course, cilantro. My taste buds just come alive thinking about cilantro! This Pico de Gallo Recipe is my all time favorite. I use it as a base for so many dishes.
Every since Lenny and I made our road trip out to California last summer and experienced “Taco Tuesday” at the Rockin’ Baja Lobster Cantina in San Diego, I just can’t seem to get enough. Then when you add our trip to Mexico this spring break, uhm, yeah….. We had fresh pico de gallo every day. We had it in the Shrimp Stuffed Avocados. We had it in the ceviche. We had it with tortilla chips. Every day. Fresh.
Pico de Gallo Recipe
- 3 yellow or red onions
- 12 Roma tomatoes slightly under ripe is fine
- 2 cups fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 to 3 jalapenos
- 1 lime
- Dice up equal quantities of onion and tomato.
- Roughly chop the cilantro.
- Slice 1 or 2 jalapenos in half. With a spoon, scrape out the seeds. (If you like things spicy, leave in some of the white membranes.) Dice the jalapenos very finely; you want just a hint of heat and jalapeno flavor. Now dump the four ingredients into a bowl.
- Slice the lime in half and squeeze the juice from half a lime in the bowl. Sprinkle with salt, and stir together until combined. Be sure to taste the pico de gallo and adjust the seasonings, adding salt or more diced jalapeno if needed.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 50Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 107mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 2g
I hope you enjoy this recipe. It truly has become a recipe that we make on a weekly basis in our family.
More Recipe Ideas
If you enjoyed this Pico de Gallo recipe, you might also like tehse recipe ideas from The Birch Cottage:
Til next time…
Be sure to pin this recipe to your favorite Pinterest board to save for later or to share with family and friends!