Learn how to sew a coffee cup sleeve. A coffee cup sleeve is a custom cup cozy without snaps, velcro or buttons.
So, I shared with you how to make your very own custom coffee cup sleeve pattern and now I want to share with you how to sew the coffee cup sleeve.
It really is an easy project. What I like about it is that there are no snaps, buttons, velcro or closures to get in the way. Simply slide the sleeve onto the cup and you’re ready to go.
Coffee Cup Sleeve FAQs
Before we talk about how to sew a coffee cup sleeve, let’s take a look at some of the questions you might have and that others have asked:
Q: What makes these sleeves different?
A. These sleeves are made to fit specific size cups. They slide onto the cup and fit perfectly. There are no buttons, no velcro, and no fasteners of any kind.
Q. Are the sleeves reversible?
A. Yes, the coffee sleeves are reversible.
Q. What size are the sleeves?
A. The sleeves can be any size. You can make them 3″ tall or more. My favorite sleeve covers the entire cup!
Q. Are the sleeves washable?
A. Yes! Be sure to wash your fabric BEFORE you cut out your fabric. Then after you sew a coffee cup sleeve, you simply throw it in the washing machine. You can lay flat to dry or machine dry – assuming, of course, that you’re using cotton fabrics.
Q. Will the sleeve fit a Starbucks reusable cup?
A. Yes! You can make your coffee cup sleeve to fit any size cup. Whether you like your coffee from McDonald’s, Tim Hortons, Biggby, Starbucks or your favorite local coffee shop, you can make a sleeve to fit any size cup or tumbler!
Q. Are these coffee cup sleeves microwave safe?
A. No, the pattern as written is not microwave safe. However, you can make them microwave safe by using 100% cotton fabric, thread and batting.
How to Gift a Coffee Cup Sleeve
I have made no less than 20 coffee cup sleeves in various sizes as gifts. I keep a supply of to-go cups on hand and even make extra sleeves so that I have ready made handmade gifts on hand.
I also like to fill the cups with truffles, Tootsie Rolls, mints or the recipients favorite treats and a coffee shop gift card. By the way, did you know you can buy Starbucks Gift Cards on Amazon?
Here are a few other ideas to fill your cups and gift along with your coffee cup sleeve:
- Fill cup with k-cups or individual packets of gourmet coffee.
- Fill cup with seasonal treats (Christmas, Easter, fall….)
- Fill cup with pens, note pad, and washi tape
- Fill cup with nuts
- Fill with Peppermit Mocha themed items
- Fill with nail polish or other beauty products
And don’t forget to include a gift card!
How to Make a Sleeve Pattern
You can easily make a pattern to fit any size to-go cup or tumbler! Once you have your pattern, you’re ready to sew your coffee cup sleeve!
After you watch the video on how to create a custom coffee cup sleeve pattern, you can watch my video on how to sew a coffee cup sleeve. And, while you’re at it, be sure to Subscribe to my YouTube channel so you’ll know about all my latest videos!
- cotton fabric
- sewing machine
- pins or clips
- You can use coordinating fabrics or the same fabric for the two outer pieces of fabric.
- Cut two pieces of fabric for the coffee sleeve.
- Cut two pieces of interfacing.
- Follow the manufacturer's instructions for applying the interfacing to the wrong side of the sleeve fabric.
- Sew the side seam for each sleeve piece. With fabric right sides together, line up the short sides, clip and stitch using a 3/8" seam. Repeat with the second sleeve piece. Press seams open.
- Turn one of the sleeve pieces right side out.
- I like to center the seams opposite each other. Find the center of the sleeve piece that is still wrong side out and mark with a pin. Insert the sleeve piece that is right side out into the wrong side out piece, lining up the center seam with the pin or center of the opposite piece. You should now have the fabric sleeve pieces right sides together and the side seams opposite one another.
- Stitch along the top of the sleeve pieces using a 3/8" seam. Turn the sleeves so they are wrong sides together.
- Fold up each of the long edges 3/8" towards the wrong side. Pin and press in place.
- Topstitch 1/4" from the edge. This will sew the bottom of the sleeve closed and provide your finished topstitching. Press the sleeve and topstitch 1/4" from the edge along the top of the sleeve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Your finished Coffee Cup Sleeve is now finished. Remember, it is reversible and machine washable. Your now ready to use or gift your reversible coffee cup sleeve!
More Sewing Ideas
If you love to sew or are looking for handmade gift ideas that you can sew, you might like these sewing ideas from The Birch Cottage:
- Sew a Reversible Microwave Safe Bowl Cozy
- 40 FREE Pin Cushion Patterns to Sew
- Easy to Sew Tissue Holder to Sew
If you have questions or comments about the sewing tutorial, please leave them below! I hope you enjoyed this sewing tutorial.
Til next time…
Be sure to pin the below image to your favorite Pinterest sewing board to save it for later or to share with family and friends!