Learn how to sew a casserole dish cozy or hot pad or koozie for any size dish. Below you’ll find a link to a casserole dish cozy pattern for both a 9×13 and 8-1/2×8-1/2 casserole dish cozy.
NOTE: To download the pattern, scroll down near the bottom of this page and complete the form requesting the pattern (or just click here to go directly to the form). A link to the pattern will then be emailed directly to you. You MUST complete this form, even if you are already a subscriber, to receive the pattern. Don’t worry though, you won’t be subscribed multiple times. It’s just a more expedient and efficient way of delivering the pattern directly to you.
Ever since we started using our Reversible Microwave Safe Bowl Cozies, I’ve wanted to make a cozy for a casserole dish and our larger serving bowls. I’ve even received a lot of requests from readers to create and share a casserole cozy pattern.
My Search for the Perfect Casserole Dish Cozy
I searched online to see if I could find a pattern or see what other people are using and I just couldn’t find exactly what I wanted. I didn’t want to create a carrier, but rather a cozy, koozie, or hot pad specifically for my 9×13 inch casserole dish.
But not just any cozy. I wanted a cozy where the handles would be long enough to completely cover the glass handles of the casserole dish. And, thus, protect my hands (and yours) from the heat of the dish.
So, off to the drawing board. I drafted at least three different patterns before I came up with what I think is the perfect pattern for my 9×13 casserole dish cozy. While I was at it, I also created a cozy for my 8-1/2″x8-1/2″ casserole dish.
If you love to learn by watching videos, then I’ve got the perfect video for you! Just click here or on the image below to go to my YouTube channel to watch the full video tutorial!
Q: What type of fabrics are best for the casserole dish cozy?
Just like with the microwave safe bowl cozy pattern, I recommend the use of 100% cotton fabric. Quilting fabric is perfect! I bought my fabric at JOANN.
Q: What type of batting should I use for the casserole dish cozy?
I’ve tested the cozy using two different types of batting.
- Cotton Batting
A 100% cotton and microwave safe batting, like Pellon’s Wrap-N-Zap Cotton Quilt Batting is a great choice. And my recommendation!
- Insul Fleece
If you’re not familiar with Insul Fleece, it consists of hollow, polyester fibers needle-punched through a nonwoven substrate and through a reflective metalized poly film. The needled material is breathable and won’t break down with washing. The hollow fibers resist conduction while the reflective metalized poly film resists radiant energy. The energy, hot or cold, is reflected back to its source. NOTE: This fill is heat resistant not heat proof. Machine wash and tumble dry.
I also recommend that if you’re going to use the Insul Fleece that you also add a layer of cotton batting. Be sure to read the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Fusible Fleece
Although not my first choice, you can certainly use fusible fleece in your Casserole Dish Cozy. I like to use HeatnBond Fusible Fleece in my projects.
FOR BEST RESULTS, I RECOMMEND TWO LAYERS OF COTTON BATTING OR TWO LAYERS OF COTTON BATTING WITH A MIDDLE LAYER OF INSUL FLEECE.
Q: What size is the pattern for the Casserole Dish Cozy?
The pattern comes in two sizes. One pattern fits the 8-1/2×8-1/2″ casserole dish and the full pattern fits the 9×13″ casserole dish. All sizes are included in the pattern.
NOTE: This pattern was created specifically to fit the Anchor Hocking casserole dish. Please dry fit the pattern to your dish before cutting out your fabric so you can make any necessary adjustments.
Q: How do I fit the pattern for a 9×13 Casserole Dish?
There are three pattern pieces that are labeled A1, A2, and B. To make the 9×13 cozy, print out all three pieces and tape them together in the following order: A1, B, A2.
Q: How do I fit the pattern for an 8-1/2×8-1/2″ cozy?
To make the 8-1/2×8-1/2″ casserole dish cozy, simply tape the pieces labeled A1 and A2 together.
Helpful Hint: You can either place the pattern on the fold or print two copies of the pattern and tape them together to make a full pattern piece.
- ½ yard cotton fabric*
- ½ yard cotton batting
- rotary cutter
- cutting mat
- pins or Wonder clips
- sewing machine
Prepare the Pattern
- Download and print out the pattern pages. Be sure to select "actual size" or "100%" in your printer settings. You can use the square labeled 1" as a guide to verify the pattern has printed at the correct size.
- For the 9x13" casserole dish cozy, tape pieces A1, B, and A2 together so that the circle s on the pattern pieces line up. To clarify, piece B will be inserted in the middle of pieces A1 and A2, as illustrated below.
- For the 8-1/2x8-1/2" casserole dish cozy, tape pieces A1 and A2 together so that the circles on the pattern pieces line up.
NOTE: I created the pattern so that you would place the pieces on the fold of the fabric. Optionally, you can print out TWO copies of each pattern piece and tape them together to make the full pattern so you can lay it out on the fabric as pictured below:
- Cut two pieces of cotton fabric for the casserole cozy. You can use the same fabric for both sides of the cozy or use coordinating fabric. \
- Cut two pieces of batting. You may want to cut the batting slightly smaller than the fabric to help avoid bulk in your seams.
Sew Batting to the Fabric
- Place the batting on the wrong side of both pieces of fabric and pin in place. (You can also use a fabric spray adhesive to hold the batting in place.)
- Mark diagonal lines using an acrylic ruler and a fabric marker from each corner then another line straight down the middle of the shortest width, as pictured below:
- Set your stitch length to 3.0 and stitch along the lines. Repeat for the coordinating piece of fabric and batting.
- Using a stitch length of 1.8 sew darts for the corners by placing corners right sides together and pinning in place. Then stitch 1/4" seam allowance, reinforcing your beginning and ending stitches.
- Place fabric right sides together, matching corner seams and lining up the edges, then pin or clip in place. I like to fold the dart seams in opposite directions to help reduce bulk. In other words, fold the darts for the top fabric towards the short ends and fold the darts for the bottom fabric towards the long ends.
- Leaving a 3" opening for turning, stitch beginning in the middle along one of the long sides. Be sure to reinforce your beginning and ending stitches.
Turn and Finish
- Turn the casserole dish cozy right side out through the opening that you left.
- Smooth out the corners and seams. Then press the edges nice and flat.
- Top stitch along the top edge, about 1/8" from the edge, closing the opening as you stitch.
- I also like to top stitch along the bottom of the cozy. It helps to fold over the long sides from the bottom of each corner towards the middle and press. This creates a crease line that you can follow while top-stitching.
This pattern uses 1/4" seam allowances.
The cozy is machine washable and reversible.
Since the handles are nice and long, they fold over the handles of the dish and serve as a built-in potholder.
Unless you use 100% cotton fabric, batting, and thread, this cozy is not microwave safe.
Casserole Dish Cozy Pattern
The Casserole Dish Cozy Pattern is available as a free download exclusively to subscribers of The Birch Cottage newsletter. As a subscriber, you’ll not only have this pattern delivered directly to your inbox, but you’ll also have access to the entire Subscribers Resource Library. The library is full of free printables from sewing and crochet patterns, to gift tags and care tags, to wall art and more!
PLEASE NOTE: I made this pattern specifically to fit the Anchor Hocking casserole Dish. Please dry fit the pattern to your casserole dish and make any necessary adjustments to the pattern for the best fit.
More Sewing Ideas
If you like to sew, be sure to check out these other sewing ideas from The Birch Cottage:
Be sure to pin this sewing pattern to your favorite Pinterest board to save it for later or to share with family and friends!