Healthy and tasty Shrimp Stuffed Avocado recipe! Fresh avocado stuffed with shrimp, cilantro aioli and lime juice. Using fresh ingredients for the Shrimp Stuffed Avocado Recipe is key.
This blog post originally appeared on The Birch Cottage blog on April 10,2015. It has been updated to include new photos.
My husband and I first discovered Shrimp Stuffed Avocados while vacationing in Mexico. It’s quickly become one of our favorite dishes. If you like shrimp, avocados and/or Mexican food, you’re bound to love this light, flavorful and oh-so-good-for-you Shrimp Stuffed Avocado recipe!
Lenny and I really enjoyed the meals we had in Puerto Morelos, Mexico. The dishes were prepared with such fresh ingredients. This Shrimp Stuffed Avocado Recipe dish was one of Lenny’s favorites. We stayed at the Hotel Ojo De Agua and ate at the Hotel Ojo De Agua Restaurant where we ordered the Shrimp Stuffed Avocados several times.
I’m still trying to perfect this recipe in order to copy the taste and flavors. What we found to be key is to use the freshest ingredients available. Obviously, living in Central Ohio we aren’t going to have fresh shrimp, so I used frozen shrimp.
Shrimp Stuffed Avocados
This dish is a twist on traditional ceviche. Ceviche is great for lunch, as an appetizer or side dish to accompany a main course, or serve it on it’s on as a light but satisfying dinner. My husband and I eat it often for dinner. It is just so refreshing.
All the fresh ingredients just come together for a little party in your mouth. There are tons of ingredients you could put into ceviche or even these shrimp stuffed avocados. We’ve had them with fish, fish and shrimp and even chicken. And then there was that one time where we had smoked sausage and shrimp stuffed avocados.
This is just such a cool, refreshing, light and satisfying dish. Once you try it, you’ll be hooked and you can thank me for introducing you to such a satisfying (and easy) dish.
- 4-5 firm ripe avocados
- 1 lb medium sized cooked shrimp
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced finely
- 5 tablespoons cilantro aioli (or use mayo with fresh chopped cilantro)
- Lime juice from 1 lime
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Chop the cooked shrimp in half. If desired, keep a few whole to garnish.
- Combine diced onions, shrimp, 1/2 of the lime juice and aioli in a bowl, mix well. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Add salt/pepper to taste.
- Cut avocados in half, remove seed and peel carefully.
- Drizzle remaining lime juice over avocados. This helps keep them from darkening too quickly.
- Use a spoon to stuff avocados with shrimp salad filling.
- Add any garnishes and serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 575Total Fat: 42gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 33gCholesterol: 244mgSodium: 1249mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 18gSugar: 3gProtein: 31g
You can also add chopped radish, cucumbers and/or celery and garnish with a few chopped cilantro leaves.
Mexican food really is one of my favorites. And, surprisingly, one of my husband’s favorites too. He’s kind of a meat and meat guy. So anytime I can add vegetables or something healthy into his diet, I’m all for it!
More Recipe Ideas
If you liked this Shrimp Stuffed Avocados recipe, you might also like these recipe ideas from The Birch Cottage:
- The Best Ever Guacamole Recipe
- 7 Delicious Avocado Recipes for Summer
- Chicken Enchilada Recipe
- Stuffed Chicken Enchilada Peppers
- Creamy White Chicken Chili
If you make this Shrimp Stuffed Avocados, I’d love to hear about it. Just leave me a note in the comments below! Til next time…