Learn how to make Snickerdoodle Cupcakes. Your favorite Snickerdoodle Cookie in a cupcake form is sure to be a new family favorite!
Our son’s favorite cookies are Snickerdoodles. When we found out he was coming home from college Easter weekend, I wanted to make him a special treat. However, I had recently made him some snickerdoodle cookies and taken them to him at school, so I didn’t want to bake cookies again.
Then, I had the idea, I wonder if I can make snickerdoodle flavored cupcakes. I found several recipes online and finally decided upon this old recipe that I found in an old Betty Crocker cookbook that belonged to my mother-in-law.
It’s kind of cool, I think, that I was able to use an old recipe from Nanny’s cookbook to make something new and amazing for Owen. Only, Owen wasn’t the only one to enjoy these cupcakes!
Please overlook the fact that I didn’t pipe the frosting. Our daughter Morgan (who’s become quite the baker) would definitely cringe at my frosting technique. I just simply used the back of a tablespoon to spread the frosting around the top of the cupcake. It works for spreading the frosting, it just doesn’t look quite as pretty.
Snickerdoodle Goodness in a Cupcake?
Yes!! Believe it or not, all the things that make snickerdoodle cookies so distinct, like the slightly chewy texture, the soft inside, the crisp outside and the cinnamon and sugar topping can all be found in this Snickerdoodle Cupcake recipe! No lie!
In fact, I was utterly amazed at how much these Snickerdoodle Cupcakes had in common with the Snickerdoodle Cookies. I can’t even adequately describe the likeness or the sensation in my mouth as I bit into one of these cupcakes. You’ve gotta take my word for it and just bake a batch of these cupcakes.
I chose to add cream cheese frosting to the cupcakes, but you could easily leave them with just the cinnamon and sugar topping or maybe add a nice glaze or add your favorite vanilla buttercream frosting. But, first, try the recipe just the way it’s written then come back and let me know what you think!
I can’t wait to hear your reactions! So, go ahead. I’ll be here, just waiting to hear all about how amazed you were with the results and the taste and the texture.
Snickerdoodle Cupcakes Recipe
- 1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup sugar granulated
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter room temperature
- 4 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin pan with 12 cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another mixing bowl, add the melted butter and whisk in the sugar, buttermilk sour cream and vanilla extract. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix just until combined.
- In another mixing bowl or in the bowl of your stand mixer, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold the beaten egg whites into the batter until combined.
- Spoon batter into muffin pan lined with cupcake liners.
- Mix sugar and cinnamon together in a small bowl. Sprinkle 1/ 2 teaspoon on the top of the batter of each cupcake. (Save the remaining sugar and cinnamon mix for the frosting.)
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan and allow to cool completely on racks, about 30 minutes.
For the Frosting:
- In a mixing bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer, beat butter and cream cheese on medium speed until well combined. Gradually add the powdered sugar, a little at a time and beat until smooth and creamy. Add vanilla extract and beat to combine.
- Frost each cupcake. Sprinkle remaining cinnamon and sugar mix on top of each frosted cupcake
Kitchen Tools Used in this Recipe
Below is a shoppable list of kitchen tools used in this recipe. Whenever possible, I’ve linked to the exact tools I used in making this recipe.
I am not kidding you when I say, these Snickerdoodle Cupcakes taste amazing! My husband and our daughter Morgan were kind of stunned or pleasantly surprised at just how much they resembled a Snickerdoodle Cookie.
As always, I love hearing from you. Please leave me a comment below, tag me on social media using #thebirchcottage or #ahandmadehome, so I’ll be sure to see, or come join in on the creativity at A Handmade Home Facebook Page.
Til next time…
Be sure to visit andsubscribe to my YouTube channel, too! Thank you!!