I love pizza. I love whole wheat pizza dough. So, it’s no surprise that one of the very first recipes I’m sharing here on The Birch Cottage blog is my favorite whole wheat pizza dough recipe.
My husband, Lenny, and I took a trip to Niagara Falls, Canada a few years ago and while there, we ate at Wolfgang Puck‘s restaurant. I’ve been told that the restaurant has since closed. One of my favorite dishes I’ve ever eaten anywhere was Wolfgang Puck’s caramelized onion, mushroom and goat cheese pizza. Man, I can still taste it today! I have tried to re-create that recipe several times and although it’s turned out pretty good, it’s really hard to duplicate a pizza oven at home.
In keeping with my healthy eating lifestyle, I’ve taken quite a liking to this Whole Wheat Pizza Dough. This is a knock-off of the recipe I obtained some years ago from the restaurant’s website. The honey is really the key ingredient in this pizza crust. I also like to vary the recipe a little by pre-heating the oven with my pizza stone in it and then baking the crust for just a few minutes on the hot pizza stone. I then take the partially cooked crust out of the oven and add my favorite toppings. Turns out delicious every time!
Whole Wheat Pizza Dough Recipe
Pizza is probably my most favorite food. But, you could also say I’m somewhat of a pizza snob. I don’t like just any ol’ pizza. I like real pizza that tastes really good. I mean, if I’m gonna consume that many calories, they better be worth it!
This Whole Wheat Pizza Dough is definitely worth the calories and time that it takes to make it. Speaking of pizza, what’s your favorite topping? My all time favorite pizza topping has got to be pepperoni. But, I also caramelized onions, mushrooms and goat cheese. Ahhh-mazing!
- 1 package yeast
- 1-1/4 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3-3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup cool water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Pinch salt
- In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm water. Add the honey and let sit for 5 minutes, until foamy. This step is called “proofing” the yeast.
- In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with a hook attachment, add 3 cups of whole wheat flour. Mix the 1 cup cool water with the olive oil and salt. With the motor running, pour the olive oil mixture and the yeast slowly in with the flour. Process until the dough forms a ball that rides around on the blade. Add more flour, if dough is sticky.
- Transfer the dough to an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise until double in bulk. Punch down the dough and knead it on a lightly floured surface for 1 minute. Divide the dough into 2 equal portions and roll them into tight balls. Place on a tray, cover with a damp towel, and let rest for several hours or overnight in the refrigerator before use.
- Roll or stretch each ball of dough into a 12-inch circle. Place the circles, one at a time, on a baking stone or on a baking sheet and build the pizza as desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 318Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 13mgCarbohydrates: 66gFiber: 10gSugar: 1gProtein: 12g
More Recipe Ideas
If you liked this Whole Wheat Pizza Dough recipe, you might also like these recipes from The Birch Cottage:
Til next time…
Be sure to pin this recipe to your favorite Pinterest board to save for later or to share with family and friends!