Zucchini Frittata Recipe is the perfect way to eat healthy and use up some of that zucchini!
Spring has arrived in Central Ohio and brought with it much rain. But, the rain can’t keep me down because I know warmer, sunnier days are ahead. With those warmer sunnier days, comes fresh vegetables and fruits. One of my favorite vegetables is zucchini and this Zucchini Frittata Recipe hits the spot!
It has simple, fresh ingredients, like sliced onions…
and then put under the broiler for just a few minutes.
I make a healthier version using coconut oil instead of butter and omitting the sugar. It tastes fabulous!
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- 12 ounces zucchini (1 large zucchini or 3 small zucchini)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 5 eggs
- sprig of fresh thyme (or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 1 tomato
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- Heat a nonstick pan over medium heat and add the butter. When the butter starts bubbling, add the onion. Sprinkle in the sugar. Saute the onion until carmalized, about 8-10 minutes. Take care not to burn the onions.
- While the onion is sauteeing, slice the zucchini very thinly (1/8″ thick) using sharp chef’s knife or a mandolin. Cut the tomato into 1/4″ slices. When the onion is ready, add the zucchini and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occassionally until zucchini is tender and has just started to brown.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs with the thyme; Preheat the broiler and set the rack to about 8-10 inches below the heating element.
- Once the zucchini is cooked, pour in the eggs. Top with sliced tomatoes and dot with crumbles of goat cheese. Cook for 6 minutes.
- Place pan under broiler for 2-3 minutes until the top is lightly browned. Let cool for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve warm or at room temperature.
I really hope you give this recipe a try. The goat cheese just adds the perfect little kick to this dish. I’m positive that once you make it, it’ll become a favorite!
Til next time…
If you like this recipe, you might also like: