This Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuits recipe is hearty comfort food at its best! Use frozen vegetables and homemade biscuits for a hearty one dish meal!
I don’t know of any other dish that says good old fashioned hearty comfort food like homemade chicken pot pie with biscuits!
It’s kind of funny, but I’ve been wanting to make my husband my homemade chicken pot pie all winter and I just got around to making this recipe two weeks ago. But, it was perfect timing because we found ourselves smack dab in the middle of a Polar Vortex. I’d call that perfect timing!
The funny part is that I made the entire pan for just two people. We ate on it for days! It really is a very hearty and filling dish. By the way, you can even prepare this recipe and then freeze it for later.
Prepare Ahead of Time
You can easily prepare this recipe ahead of time. Have company coming on Sunday? Simply prepare the chicken pot pie and biscuits recipe right up to, but not including the biscuit topping. Cover tightly and place in the refrigerator for 2-3 days before cooking.
When you’re ready to bake your casserole, remove the dish from the refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature while you’re preparing the biscuit topping. Then proceed with the recipe as directed.
Freezer Meal Preparation
You have a couple of options when preparing this chicken pot pie with biscuits recipe for freezer meal preparation. My preferred method is to prepare the casserole just like the prepare ahead of time method above. Which means, you get everything ready except for the biscuits, wrap tightly with plastic wrap and then cover with aluminum foil.
When you’re ready to bake the casserole, set it out in the refrigerator the night before. Then set it out on the counter, just like with the make ahead method, and allow it to come to room temperature while you prepare the biscuits.
The other method is to prepare the entire dish, including the biscuits, place it in the freezer and freeze the entire casserole. With this method, you’ll again place the frozen casserole in the refrigerator to thaw overnight and then let it sit on the counter to come to room temperature before baking.
Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuits Recipe
If you love comfort food, I think you’re gonna love this recipe! It’s great for those cold winter nights here in Ohio. It also makes for a really nice dish to gift to friends and family. Whether you’re preparing a meal for a friend who just had a baby or maybe an office potluck or dinner with the family, this Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuits is a crowd pleaser!
Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuits
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups diced potatoes
- 1 12 oz bag frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 recipe for Biscuits
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tspn baking soda
- 2 tspns sugar
- 1 tspn salt
- 6 tbsp cold unsalted butter cubed
- 3/4 cup cold buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 475º F.
- Cut chicken into 1-inch pieces. Drizzle olive oil into large, heavy-bottomed Dutch oven over medium heat. Add chicken and cook until lightly browned and no longer pink. Remove from Dutch oven to a bowl using a slotted spoon. Set aside.
- Add potatoes, frozen vegetables, onions, garlic and chicken stock to Dutch oven. Cook until the potatoes are fork tender, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low and add back chicken.
- Melt butter in 3-quart saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour until smooth and then slowly pour in milk, whisking constantly. Remove from heat and add salt and pepper. Pour into Dutch oven with chicken and vegetables, stirring until well-combined. Pour into a 9×13 baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt until well combined. Add the cubed butter and cut into the dry ingredients using a pastry cutter until you have small pea sized pieces of butter. Pour the cold buttermilk into the mixture and gently work it together until the dough starts to come together.
- Scoop the dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently work it together with your hands. Pat the dough into a rectangle and fold it in thirds. Turn the dough, flatten back into a rectangle and fold again in thirds. Repeat this process 3 or 4 times.
- Pat dough down into a 1/2-inch tick rectangle. Using a floured biscuit cutter, cut out the biscuits. Gather scrap pieces of dough and continue cutting out biscuits until you have 12 biscuits.
- Place biscuits on top of chicken pot pie mixture in baking dish. Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper and bake for 12-15 minutes or until the biscuits are golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for about 5 minutes. Serve warm.
More Recipe Ideas
If you love comfort food that’s not only delicious but easy to prepare, you might like these other family favorite recipes from The Birch Cottage:
This chicken pot pie with biscuits recipe really is comfort food at its finest. If you make this recipe, please let me know what you think! If you share a picture on social media, please be sure to tag me #thebirchcottage so I’ll see your picture.
Til next time…